Friday, April 9, 2010

It Has Begun

We got the camera last night and spent a few hours shooting. We got three scenes done, which comes out to about 1/6 of the film, if my math's correct. Right now, I think the biggest problem we're going to have is scheduling. I think we may have spent as much time trying to figure out when everyone was available as we did filming.

Interesting story: We've only been filming for one day, and we've already had our first police run-in. It actually happened during the first scene we filmed. It was a death scene, of sorts, and we had our lead actor sprawled out in the grass, with the lead actress and most of our crew leaning over him. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to film that scene across the street from the police department without telling them. We were about halfway through the scene when two cops came running up to see what had happened. Apparently the dispatcher had seen us through the window and thought there had been an accident. They told us they were just about to call out an ambulance. (Actually, it would have been kind of cool if they had. It would have added some verisilimitude to the scene. But then we would have had to pay for it, which wouldn't be so cool.)

We actually shot my favorite scene last night. Y'know, it's one thing to write it and see it in your mind, but it's something else to actually see what you've written realized like this. It's a very powerful feeling, and I can feel my already over-inflated ego swelling even more. Between this, my "film as literature" class, and script frenzy, I'm thinking I'm going to start digging deeper into the whole process, and I might even consider doing a creative thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment